Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3 and Title 53A of the Utah Code describe in detail the specific legal duties of the Board. Among these duties are:
- Appoint the State Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- Adopt administrative rules directed to the whole system.
- Establish minimum standards for public schools.
- Make rules that establish basic ethical conduct standards for licensed public education employees.
- Define, establish and implement a core curriculum.
- Maintain general control and supervision over Adult Education.
- Annually prepare and submit to the Governor and Legislature a budget for the operation of the institutions and agencies under the Board.
- With the State Auditor, set and approve auditing standards for auditors employed by local school boards and charter schools.
- Verify audits of financial and student accounting records of school districts and charter schools for purposes of determining the allocation of Uniform School Fund monies.
- Fulfill statutory responsibility for the management of the Utah State Office of Education, Utah Office of Rehabilitation, and the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
To view a PDF of Board Member responsibilities, click here.