(801) 538-7813 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Any organization receiving taxpayer dollars through federal or state appropriations, grants, contracts, or sub-awards, is trusted to safeguard those funds and ensure they are used in compliance with the regulations and intent of the awarding party. The hotline is maintained by the Internal Audit Department of the Utah State Board of Education and it is a venue for citizens, educators, employees, and other stakeholders to request audits or report concerns related to any of the agencies governed by or provided resources by the Board.
If you would like to request an audit or review of a program, function, account, internal control, compliance requirement, report, etc., or if you would like to report misuse of assets, funds or resources, non-compliance with regulations, policies or rules, fraud, waste, abuse or unethical behavior, please contact the Internal Audit Department (see below).
The Board and Internal Audit Department are committed to protect individuals who report fraud, waste or abuse. We maintain the confidentiality of all complainants as required by law. Utah law prohibits discharging, threatening, or otherwise bringing a personal action against an employee who reports a violation of law or waste of public funds, property, or manpower unless the employee knows the report is malicious, false, or frivolous. Please see Utah Code Section 63G-2-305 Government Records Access and Management Act concerning protected information, including information for audit purposes, and Utah Code Section 67-21 Utah Protection of Public Employees Act concerning the whistleblower protections.
Requesting an Audit or Reporting a Concern
If you would like to request an audit or review of a program, function, account, internal control, compliance requirement, report, etc., or if you would like to report misuse of assets, funds or resources, non-compliance with regulations, policies or rules, fraud, waste, abuse or unethical behavior, please contact the Internal Audit Department as follows:
- Email us at email@example.com, or
- Call our dedicated hotline at (801) 538-7813, or
- Fax a concern to (801) 538-7768 Attn: Debbie Davis
- Mail a concern to:
Utah State Board of Education
Internal Audit Department
Attn: Debbie Davis
250 East 500 South
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4200
- Visit the Internal Audit Department Offices (Rooms 37-39 at 250 E 500 S SLC, UT)
To expedite a preliminary analysis of reported items and requests, when you report a concern please provide as much information and documentation as possible. This could include:
- Your name, email, and phone number (requests or reports may be anonymous, but we request this information to be able to contact you with further questions that may arise as part of the audit or investigation).
- A detailed description of the request or allegation, including any laws, regulations, policies, etc. that are relevant, and if applicable, and the source of the funds involved (e.g. federal, state, other)
- The name of the individual(s), program, funding, etc. involved
- The location where the action(s) occurred
- When the action(s) or concern occurred
- Additional information such as: other witnesses, supporting documents, evidence, etc.
After a preliminary analysis, your request may then be incorporated into the Internal Audit Department risk assessment and audit plan process for approval by the Audit Committee.
Be aware that there are many different entities (state and local) that may have jurisdiction over an item or issue that is reported and as part of the preliminary analysis we will determine if a different entity is better place to resolve the request or complaint.