June 6, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SALT LAKE CITY – The Utah State Board of Education announced that the following Utah school districts and charter schools have been accepted in the state’s competency-based learning pilot program:
|· American Leadership Academy
· Cache County School District
· City Academy
· Davis School District
· Edith Bowen Lab School
· Iron County School District
· Juab School District
|· Logan City School District
· Mountainville Academy
· Park City School District
· Rockwell Charter High School
· South Summit School District
· Spectrum Academy
The charters and districts accepted in the program, authorized in 2016 by the Utah Legislature, will help develop a framework for competency-based education in Utah in order to move to a pilot implementation phase in the 2018-19 school year. Competency-based education focuses on measurable student education outcomes based on skill mastery rather than seat-time in a classroom. Core principles in the program include:
- Competencies that include explicit, measurable, and transferable learning objectives that empower a student.
- Assessment that is meaningful and provides a positive learning experience for a student.
- Timely, differentiated support based on a student’s individual learning needs.
- Learning outcomes that emphasize competencies that include application and creation of knowledge along with the development of important skills and dispositions.
Schools and districts in the pilot program will regularly update the Utah State Board of Education on their work.
Contact: Sarah Young, Digital Teaching & Learning Coordinator
801-538-7808 ∙ email@example.com