The Utah State Board of Education voted May 8, 2015, to release the secondary math standards for a 90-day public review. Members of the public are invited to view the changes to the standards and provide feedback.
The secondary math core standards have been revised based on five areas approved by the Utah State Board of Education:
- Revise and align the Precalculus and Secondary I Honors, II Honors, and III Honors standards so that all students completing either pathway have met the same standards.
- Revise and align the Statistics and Probability standards across secondary courses (grades 7-12).
- Consider moving some of the standards in Secondary II to other courses.
- Revise ambiguous standards so that the depth of intended proficiency is clear.
- Cross-reference the high school standards with the courses in which they are taught.
Utah Secondary Mathematics Core Standards draft documents for public review:
- Draft Secondary Mathematics Core
- Standards Changes at a Glance
- Precalculus/Honors Alignment
- Statistics Standards at a Glance
- High School Standards Cross Reference
Click here to provide your feedback for the above suggested Secondary Mathematics revisions.
Each meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. Public hearing dates and locations are as follows:
- Monday, June 8: Washington County School District Board Room, 121 Tabernacle St. St. George
- Wednesday, June 10: Elk Ridge Middle School, 3659 West 9800 South, South Jordan
- Thursday, June 25: Box Elder School District Office, 960 South Main Street, Brigham City
- Monday, Tuesday, June 30: NUAMES, 2750 University Park Blvd., Layton
- Monday, July 29: Roosevelt Junior High Training Room, 350 West 200 South, Roosevelt