UTAH STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION RESOLUTION NO. 2016-1
RESOLUTION ESTABLISHING THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON EQUITY OF EDUCATIONAL SERVICES FOR STUDENTS (ACEESS)
Section One The Utah State Board of Education, “the Board,” hereby establishes the Advisory Committee for Equity of Educational Services for Students, “ACEESS.”
Purpose: ACEESS shall advise the Board regarding the Board’s efforts to support equity of educational services for students. In support of its purposes, ACEESS may:
A. Provide information and consult with the Board, at all levels of the decision making process as education decisions are formulated, and in facilitation of future education needs and services;
B. Establish and maintain contact with persons, groups, or associations having an interest in the welfare of students who are at risk for under achievement, to solicit feedback and remain knowledgeable and informed relative to public and private interests in education;
C. Perform other specific tasks as may be identified by the Board; and
D. Create taskforces with Board approval.
Meetings: ACEESS shall meet monthly before each regularly-scheduled meeting of the Board. During its monthly meeting ACEESS shall:
A. Review the published agenda for the Board’s meeting and identify items of interest relating to educational services for students who are at risk for under achievement;
B. Discuss feedback received from community stakeholders on Board agenda items;
C. Make written recommendations and provide feedback to:
1. Board committee chairs on matters coming before the Board’s committees; and
2. Board leadership on matters scheduled to come before the full Board.
D. Make written recommendations to Board leadership on other issues of importance for educational equity of students that merit consideration by the Board.
Expenses: The Board approves the following policy regarding expenses in connection with ACEESS operations:
A. ACEESS members may receive travel reimbursement for expenses incurred incident to attending regularly scheduled ACEESS meetings; and
B. The Superintendent shall provide clerical support to facilitate meeting logistics, prepare meeting agendas and minutes, and assist with required written communication to the Board. The Superintendent may provide additional USOE staff assistance to ACEESS with approval of the Board.
Rules of Procedure: ACEESS shall conduct committee business under Roberts Rules of Order.
Composition: ACEESS shall be comprised of 15 members, as follows:
A. Ten members, two representing each of the following communities:
1. American Indian;
2. African American/Black;
3. Asian American;
4. Hispanic/Latino American; and
5. Pacific Islander American.
B. Five members with expertise or experience serving students who are at risk for under achievement.
Appointment: ACEESS members shall be appointed by the Board. Appointees shall be chosen through interviews conducted by the Board.
Term of Service: ACEESS members shall be appointed for two-year terms.
A. ACEESS members may serve no more than two terms within a ten-year period.
B. Committee member terms of service shall be staggered initially as follows:
1. One member of each of the five groups described in Article III, Section One, Subsection (A) will be appointed for an initial two-year term;
2. One member of each of the five groups described in Article III, Section One, Subsection (A) will be appointed for an initial one-year term;
3. Three of the five members described in Article III, Section One, Subsection (B) will be appointed for an initial two-year term; and
4. Two of the five members described in Article III, Section One, Subsection (B) will be appointed for an initial one-year term.
Committee Leadership: ACEESS members shall appoint a Chair and a Vice-Chair from among the membership of ACEESS.
A. The Chair shall:
1. Coordinate meeting logistics with USOE support staff;
2. Preside at ACEESS meetings; and
3. Report to Board leadership and committee chairs as requested.
B. The Vice-Chair shall assist the Chair in fulfilling assigned responsibilities and preside at ACEESS meetings in the Chair’s absence.
Adopted by the Utah State Board of Education January 7, 2016.
David L. Crandall, Board Chair