The Utah State Board of Education will hold its regular meeting Thursday, Jan. 8, at the Utah State Office of Education, 250 E. 500 South, Salt Lake City. The complete agenda along with more information about agenda items can be found here. The meeting will be streamed live here. Shortly after the end of the meeting a summary of major action taken by the Board will be posted here.
Highlights of the Board meeting include:
- The swearing in of one returning and six new Board Members following November’s elections. The Board will also hold leadership elections.
- A review of the Board’s legislative priorities and discussion of the upcoming legislative session.
- A review of draft science standards for public schools.
View the complete Board agenda.
Agenda items are scheduled as follows:
8:30 a.m. to 8:45 a.m.
1. Opening Business
• Pledge of Allegiance
• Board Member Message
• Introduction of new employees
• Acknowledgment of student art
8:45 a.m. to 8:55 a.m.
2. Swearing in of New Board Members
8:55 a.m. to 9:05 a.m.
3. ACTION: General Consent Calendar (Backup furnished electronically) Tab 3
9:05 a.m. to 9:15 a.m.
4. Public Participation/Comment
Priority shall be given to those individuals or groups, who, prior to the day of the meeting, have submitted a request to address the Board. Sign up is available the day of the meeting before 8:30 a.m.
9:15 a.m. to 9:20 a.m.
5. ACTION: Utah State Board of Education RDA/TEC Representative Appointment Tab 5
9:20 a.m. to 9:35 a.m.
6. ACTION: Utah State Office of Rehabilitation Order of Selection Plan Tab 6
9:35 a.m. to 10:20 a.m.
7. ACTION: Graduation Initiatives Tab 7
10:20 a.m. to 11:50 a.m.
8. ACTION: Legislative Items Tab 8
11:50 a.m. to 11:55 a.m.
9. ACTION: Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission Cases Tab 9
11:55 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.
10. ACTION: Board Leadership Elections
12:20 p.m. to 1:40 p.m.
11. Lunch / Executive Session
1:40 p.m. to 1:55 p.m.
1:55 p.m. to 2:05 p.m.
12. ACTION: Executive Session Items
• UPPAC Cases
2:05 p.m. to 2:20 p.m.
13. INFORMATION: Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance Report Tab 13
2:20 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
14. INFORMATION: Utah Open Meetings Act / GRAMA Training
3:00 p.m. to 3:15 p.m.
15. INFORMATION: Preview Draft Science Standards Tab 15
3:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
16. ACTION: R277-419-9 Pupil Accounting–Provisions for Maintaining Student Tab 16
Membership and Enrollment Documentation and Documentation of Student
Education Services Provided by Third Party Vendors
3:45 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.
17. INFORMATION/ACTION: Superintendent’s Report Tab 17
• Update on Elementary and Secondary Education Act Flexibility Renewal
• ACTION: ESEA Joint Resolution
3:55 p.m. to 4:05 p.m.
18. INFORMATION: Board Chair’s Report
4:05 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
19. INFORMATION: Board Member Closing Comments